Science, ecology, biology, predicitive spatial modelling and the joy of discovery with a focus on Australian Tarantulas and invertebrates

Sunday, February 8, 2009

This years breeders

This is an exciting time of year for me when the planning begins for the seasons breeding efforts. I am hoping to get some young this year from some pairings. Planned pairings are:

Phlogius crassipes "Kuttabul" form
Phlogius sp. "Sarina"
Phlogius crassipes "Eunice"
Phlogius sp. "hirsutus"

The last species is of particular interest to me as it was only discovered by noted amateur arachnologist, Steve Nunn recently (December 2008). Below is a shot of one of these beauties taken by Steve.

Phlogius sp. "hirsutus"

Phlogius sp. "hirsutus" - mature female

4 comments:

  1. Hi Charles, it's me vege_head, from the Aust. invert forum. Brilliant sp. of T by the way. It said Steve Nunn was an amateur. I thought he was a pro. I am just wondering what defines an amateur arachnologist and a professional arachnologist?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi vege_head! Glad to see you here. Yes Steve is an amateur. A professional has a PHD or similar and it is what the person does to earn a living. Dr Raven, for example, is the professional we all know about in Australia and he works for the Qld Museum. Steve by the way collaborates with Dr Raven. I should note that Steve is about to be published in the world's top taxonomic journal (Zootaxa) and is at the very top of the amateur ranks! I have seen the unpublished work and it is absoultely amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey Charles, great site :) I would love to see your collection some day?
    Thanks for the info and pics, I can't get enough of these great little guys now
    cheers

    Jeremy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks very much Jeremy! A collection visit is ossible. Someone else is interested so 3 would almost be a club meet :). I would prefer when my new house is finished as things are in a state of flux here atthe moment.

    ReplyDelete